"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Friday, March 14, 2014

Because You Can Never Have Too Many Punks


Every now and then, scooting around the internet looking for writing markets, one bumps into a project that immediately appeals to something deep within one's psyche. Most themed anthologies are slow burners that sit in the back of my head until a eureka moment hits, or I already have a half-done story that seems to fit the bill so I get back to work on it, but occasionally one makes me sit up and want to get started on it from scratch right away. Like now! 

This submission call for original fiction for The Mammoth Book of Dieselpunk is just such a one.

As it proclaims: If you need to know what dieselpunk is, it's a subcategory of steampunk, essentially, covering the 1920s through to the 1950s, including the Roaring Twenties, the Depression, World War II, and even a little beyond that.

I like this site for its classy pictures and atmosphere. I really need to give this project a go, I think, if only for the sheer fun of it.

 I see trench coats and smart little hats, a wintry night, dark Northern climes, mountains, trains... I do love trains. Maybe an explosion or two. Or not. A Depression Era tale maybe? And both World Wars always make interesting settings for weirdness set amidst global chaos. Not sure yet, but my brain is on it.

Go brain.

And after that?  Check out all the punks here.

Elfpunk maybe?

Hmmmm.  

4 comments:

parlance said...

I reckon diesel punk would be heaps better than steampunk, because if you stuck your head out the window (or maybe a villain or two tried to push you out), you wouldn't get cinders in your eyes.

parlance said...

Oh, just followed your link and discovered decopunk!

Steve Cameron said...

The one that everyone seems to forget, is one of the first 'punks'. Stonepunk - as in The Flintstones. :)


Steve

Gitte Christensen said...


You've reminded me of my Puffing Billy rides, Catherine (whenever overseas guests turn up). I can never believe how much muck I have to wash out of my hair after those trips.

And decopunk does look like the way to go. It seems classier. Cleaner. More Phryne Fisherish.

Yabba dabba doo, Steve :)